February 16, 7:30 pm, at St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church
The Ancient Music Society of Victoria presented a concert featuring Benjamin Bagby and the Victoria medieval music ensembles, Banquo Folk Ensemble, Darya Persian Ensemble, Duo Corvi and Ensemble Semel.
World renowned medieval musician, story-teller and scholar Benjamin Bagby performed solo works, including songs in Old High German, Anglo-Saxon and Latin. He was joined by local ensembles, Banquo Folk Ensemble, Darya Persian Ensemble, Duo Corvi and Ensemble Semel, who presented secular and sacred music from different periods and styles of the Middle Ages. Please enjoy the short preview video below, featuring some of the ensembles who performed at the concert.
2019 Medieval Conference
February 2, 2019 all day, at the University of Victoria
The Ancient Music Society of Victoria is proud to have co-sponsored this year's University of Victoria Medieval Conference.
For the first time in its 30-year history, Medieval Music was the topic for this one-day event of lectures, music and demonstrations of medieval crafts.
Topics that presented are:
- Music in the medieval Mediterranean
- Musical illumination in the songs of Hildegard von Bingen
- The evolving art of medieval musical notation
- The speculative art of performing medieval folk music
- Designing a fretless medieval lute
- The power of music on the shore of Dante's Purgatory
- Exploring the senses in medieval culture
The conference took place at the University of Victoria, on February 2, 2019.